Here is my this week's post from the Hungary starts here blog--------------------------------------------------------------
My task is to share with you the gems and secrets of the Hungarian Culinary.
Last week I've shared with you the recipe of the stuffed cabbage. Today I would like to share with you another Hungarian stuffed specialty.
What can you see on this picture? Do you have any idea?
Originally uploaded by Zsúrkenyér
This is the Hungarian Stuffed Green Pepper, we call it "Töltött paprika"
The stuffed cabbage is originated from the time of Ottoman (Turkish) occupation, while the Hungarian stuffed green pepper is originated from the Serbian culture (like our lecsó). These two dishes (the stuffed cabbage and the stuffed pepper) are similar in character, but different in flavors.
To be honest I cook stuffed green pepper pretty rarely, I don’t know why, but of course I know the recipe :)
8 green peppers (sweet or slightly hot),
1/2 kilo ground meat (beef or pork or turkey),
1/2 cup of white rice,
1 small onion
1 canned tomato sauce
salt, pepper, sugar and paprika (to taste)
oil and flour for the roux
1. Cut the top of the green peppers and remove the seeds and stems. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil (or lard) in a large pot over medium-high flame. Add thinly slice onions and sauté until translucent and starting to brown. Cook the white rice until half soft. Mix the meat with half cooked rice and egg, and the chopped onion. Add salt, pepper and paprika (if you like garlic, you may add two cloves of pressed garlic too)
3. Stuff each pepper with an equal amount of meat mixture, then place staffed peppers in large pot of boiling water. Cover pot and cook until ground meat is fully cooked and rice is tender.
4. Preaper a roux from the flour and oil (or lard), pour in the tomato juice, flavor with sugar and salt, then pour over the stuffed green peppers and cook about five or ten minutes.
5. Serve peppers with sauce sponned over top and with salt cooked potato.
Try it and you won’t be disappointed!
P.s. What can you do if you want to taste the Hungarian stuffed green pepper, but you don’t want to prepare by yourself?
Don’t hesitate, travel to Hungary! Zsolt knows a good restaurant in Budapest, where you can order it :)
Hava a nice week!