Tuesday, June 19, 2007

"bundáskenyér" or "gipsy toast"

We call it „bundáskenyér”, it means „bread in coat”, but dictionary says: gipsy toast.

Have you ever heard about it?

I thought that it is a heavy, but very Hungarian breakfast/dinner food, but I was so surprised, when I got 93 “gipsytoast” hits in google.

The recipe is very simple. Try it!

  • slices bread, cut in half (preferably white)
  • eggs
  • salt
  • tablespoon milk
  • butter or oil for frying the bread

  1. Mix the eggs, salt and milk
  2. Put into a bowl and add the bread and soak.
  3. Heat the butter/oil in a frying pan.
  4. Fry the saturated bread until it is golden brown on each side.
  5. Serve.

Anyway Rita and Jörn will arrive soon from Stuttgart and Jörn is already waiting for my authentic "Ungarische goulash" :) I hope that he won't be disappointed. :)

6 comments:

hilary said...

do you serve this bread with anything special? thanks!

Nóri said...

No I don't. Just I commonly eat with tomato and my children like gypsy toast with ketchup.

lightdot said...

Itt Németországban ezt "armer Ritter"-nek hivják, ami "szegény lovagot" jelent. Érdekes, hogy milyen különbözö nevet kaphat ugyanaz az étel különbözö országokban. :-)

Irtam Rólad egy bemutató cikket a blogomban. Talán jönnek még mások is látogatóba az oldaladra. :-)

Szia
Jutka

Anonymous said...

in Flanders (Belgium) it is called won bread, or lost bread. Won because you can use older bread that you dont want to eat anymore, lost if you use fresh bread. I dont put the salt in, but use sugar when they are on the table. Children love it!!

Anonymous said...

It's very common worldwide - in the States they call it French Toast, whilst in England (especially around Liverpool) they call it Eggy-Bread.

Anonymous said...

may i add my own comment? I'm French and cooking is one of my hobbies!!
do you know toasted ham and cheese sandwich? I also prepares "gulyàs léves"delicious!!szia!
Cassie.